- Breathe in and out deeply and evenly – This will help slow down and centre your mind
- Follow the 3-3-3 rule – Look around you and name three things you see, name three sounds you hear and finally, move three parts of your body – fingers, arm or leg …. This will help you to centre your mind and bring you back to the present moment
- Do something – Stand up, go for a walk, tidy a cupboard – anything that interrupts your train of thought helps you regain a sense of control
- Watch a funny video – Laughing has loads of benefits for our mental health and well-being. It lowers stress hormones and relaxes your muscles.;
- Remember your anxiety is just a ‘thought’ – so say to yourself, it is just a thought and sweep it aside with your hand or send it away in a balloon
Getting into a pattern of rethinking fears helps train your brain to come up with a rational way to deal with anxious thoughts.